After 4G-LTE now many countries have become 5G operational commercially. Cellular network companies offering up to 2Gbps+ Download speeds. This high-speed internet makes possible to live HD and UHD video streaming, online camera networks, live HD and UHD video call and high uploading and downloading from cloud storage space with efficiency like local disc storage. This high-speed data connectivity awaking professionals from each type of industry to get benefits from this revolution.
Applications of 5G internet
Here are some applications of 5G technology.
- Smart Cities
In large scale automatic traffic control and surveillance and security system where thousands of sensors and cameras connected to processing and control unit. Each camera image required high resolution image decoding and further processing to extract machine vision data for search in database to recognize peoples, traffic and other rules violations, parking, crimes etc.
- Internet Service Providers and Web Servers
Web Servers may work proficiently. Because performance of web servers depends upon traffic. Websites already optimized for their traffic. However, they still need more bandwidth to satisfy web visitors who are using 5G bandwidth. 5G upgraded Internet service providers also required more performance of network routers optical fiber and servers. To fulfill customer requirement, they also required much more bandwidth then earlier. Non 5G ISP’s also required to offer more bandwidth to customer for competing 5G cellular companies.
- Industries and remote cloud robots
5G technology have very low latency so performance of massive network of interconnected robots and automation equipment would be more guaranteed and more accurate. However Artificial Intelligence and machine vision algorithms may require more optimization and high-performance hardware also. More remote work is possible due to no network limitations.
- IoT and 5G networks
IoT System: in which all types of things (for example mechanical machines, objects, digital devices, peoples even pets and animals) interconnected to each other via network, and all can talk to each other. Object and machines talk by mean of sensor outputs. Sensors may include GPS, environmental sensors (temperature, humidity, gas sensor, soil moisture etc.), proximity sensor, angular position encoders, image sensors, light detectors etc. In IoT thing can control other members intelligently. Like machines and home appliances. Peoples connected through digital devices like smart phone. Pets connection include location and health sensors. In IoT system too much devices can be connected so high-speed network is compulsory.
5G and our Hardware
Mostly 5G consumers having 5G enabled smart phone or 5G CPE with desktop/laptop may not feel any lake of hardware resources. Due to their application and well mature hardware and operating systems.
But we are on the way to develop smart cities with lot of sensors, cameras and huge amount simultaneous video monitoring with high quality computer vision. 5G can fulfill network requirements but processing of several Giga Bytes of image and video data in each second. These processing include computer vision, compression and decompression, Artificial intelligence in parallel with handling large national database with bulk number of queries per second. Next generation computer vision requirement is high quality image, speed and accuracy.
5G challenges for design Engineers
Here are some challenges which have to face design engineers who are moving to 5G application development.
- Low Latency of 5G network, with quick response requirement of end user also.
- Fast response of application may require many reviews for design and algorithm optimization.
- Division of processing between FPGA/ASIC and microprocessor/microcontroller or data flow to host computer/ server may also require multiple reviews to comply application requirements.
- Almost all application that use 5G network require High end FPGA/Microprocessor even for prototyping a very simple application.
- Choosing of analog hardware also critical for example for light sensing, designer must not choose LDR for light sensor which have delayed response in several milliseconds. He/she should choose Photodiode instead of LDR.
- In final products PCB designing and choosing PCB materials also critical due to Very high-speed digital circuit and 5G RF signal bandwidth. At spectrum of 5G NR mm-Wave PCB solder mask and insulation materials should be low moisture absorbance property with limited relative permittivity and permeability.